Degree of dishonour at McGill - @MidEastTruth

MidEastTruth Forum Index
  Home | Cartoons | Videos | Presentation | Flyers | Forum | UN vs ISRAEL | Links | Update List  

MidEastTruth Forum Index   Gil Troy is an American academic. He received his undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees from Harvard University and is a professor of History at McGill University.
The author of eleven books, nine of which concern American presidential history, and one of which concerns his own and others' "Jewish identity," he contributes regularly to a variety of publications and appears frequently in the media as a commentator and analyst on subjects relating to history and politics. Twitter: @GilTroy. Website: www.giltroy.com.

Help us stay online!
donate

Jump to:  
RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

Reply to topic View previous topic  •  View next topic Reply to topic 

Posted by editor

Subscribe to our mailing list

MidEastTruth.com - the first 13 yearsMidEastTruth.com
How it all started

What is Palestine? Who are the Palestinians?
What is Palestine?
Who are the Palestinians?

See Also:

PostTue May 04, 2004 12:26 am     Degree of dishonour at McGill    

Degree of dishonour at McGill

Giving an honourary doctorate to Mary Robinson is a mistake

By Gil Troy
The Montreal Gazette
May 2, 2004

When McGill University announced it will grant an honourary doctorate to Mary Robinson, a "human rights leader," my first instinct was to be silent. I have no wish to politicize commencement, when we honour our students' achievements.

But in a world of ever-coarsening anti-Semitism and despicable rationalizations for suicide bombings, in a city which just endured the burning of a Jewish children's school library, at a university in which vandals scratched "Heil Hitler" into the bathroom of the Bronfman Building and defaced the exterior of the Hillel Jewish Student Centre, honouring Mary Robinson sends a terrible message.

As the UN's High Commissioner for Human Rights, Robinson presided over the infamous World Conference Against Racism in Durban in 2001. In her closing remarks, Robinson declared "we ... succeeded," a shocking statement considering that anti-Zionists hijacked the conference, demonizing Israel, bullying Jewish participants, and distributing crude anti-Semitic images of hooked-nose Jews.

In fighting modern anti-Semitism, the moral neutrality of the politically correct -- which often masks moral sloppiness or even outright bias -- is a particularly insidious problem. We need Winston Churchills, and Mary Robinson is a Neville Chamberlain. We need to hunt down hatred, yet McGill will lionize a lamb in the face of ugly verbal assaults that have come to epitomize the new anti-Semitism.

I hate talking about anti-Semitism. Despite the stereotype that Jews are hypersensitive, my generation was raised to consider Jew-hatred an outdated, European disease.

Born into North America's post-Auschwitz meritocracy, we believed that anti-Semitism had been cured along with whooping cough and polio. We were Daniel Pearl Jews, raised, as the murdered Wall Street Journal reporter was, to be citizens of the world.

Growing up in the 1970s, we believed our identities were malleable - and infinitely elastic. We believed Marlo Thomas that we were Free to Be You and Me. We learned that if we jumped through the right hoops, we could go as far as anyone else in society. We felt protected by our American or Canadian passports.

Climbing the ladder of achievement, we internalized varying amounts of good liberal guilt about our good fortune. Our relationship to oppression was as fellow crusaders fighting for justice, not potential victims.

We were empathetic not paranoid, guarding against injuring others rather than worrying about protecting ourselves. We had zero-tolerance for racism, sexism, homophobia and any kind of religious intolerance. We learned to avoid creating hostile working environments, even unintentionally, and saw that the burden of proof is always on the potential oppressors to establish their innocence not on their victims.

Many of us pooh-poohed older relatives and Jewish leaders who seemed obsessed with anti-Semitism. They were stuck on yesterday's news - and history's burdens - rather than liberated by the miracle of North America.

Yasser Arafat's war of terrorism and propaganda against the Oslo Peace Process changed the equation - especially when the world applauded him and his tactics.

Soft, spoiled, naive and terrible soothsayers, we never imagined that we would be living in a society where a children's elementary school library would be firebombed, and the crime could trigger debate about its underlying rationale. I appreciate the outpouring of outrage from political leaders, from editorialists and from people on the street .

I honour the Herculean efforts of the Montreal police - and private security guards - to protect my children and neighbours even as I resent the need for special protection.

But how to assess those noble reactions against the slurs directed at Liberal MP Jacques Saada for the sole "crime" of being Jewish? How should one perceive the attempt to "contextualize" this attack on Canadian children and democratic values by condemning Israel?

What does one say about the decision by editors of La Presse to "balance" the expressions of indignation in the Letters to the Editor section with "different sentiment[s]," one dismissing the burning of "a little library" and the second sneering: "If our friends in the Jewish community were ... not so almost unanimously supportive of the hateful and intransigent policies of Israel, we would obviously be more scandalized by these unfortunate acts."

Moreover, how do we understand the intellectual dishonesty festering at Concordia University, where a Swastika scribbled on an Israeli flag is justified by the lie that the hated Nazi symbol functioned as a neutral Hindu emblem? What do we make of the insanity at my home institution whereby an idealistic student in my History of Presidential Campaigning conference was publicly libeled as a racist because - unlike Mary Robinson and the hypocritical, myopic UN human-rights establishment - she dared to raise the moral issue of deploying children as suicide bombers?

Again and again, I note the noxious nexus, the way criticisms of Israel and anti-Zionism camouflage the new anti-Semitism, at Durban and in Montreal, how little hurts grow into big traumas. There is a link, and the firebombers made it, between the violence against Jews in Israel, Istanbul, Montreal and Mombasa, the ugly Jew-baiting rhetoric festering in so many mosques and madrassas, and the genteel but unfair, obsessive and disproportionate expressions of exasperation or indifference toward Jews and the Jewish state in so many seminar rooms and parlours.

When Jews note the obvious connection these days between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, they are accused of being thin-skinned, intolerant, even McCarthyite; yet when anti-Semites justify attacks against Jews by pointing to Israeli actions as the United Talmud Torah vandals did, there are supposedly reputable people around who deem the connection reasonable, contextualized and thus, implicitly justified.

Jews deserve equal treatment not special treatment. If vandals firebombed an Italian church, would La Presse publish letters minimizing the "little fire" or suggesting any community behaviours that justified the crime? Are there any geniuses at Concordia University ready to rationalize cross burnings on African-Americans' lawns given the cross's many positive meanings? Would Mary Robinson have declared her anti-racism conference a success had it degenerated into Muslim-bashing?

Jews should not be burdened with proving that anti-Zionists are merely critics of Israel and not anti-Semites. Given the thousands of incidents targeting Jews in the last few years, harsh critics of Israel and of Zionism must work harder to dissociate themselves from the noxious nexus, from the rivers of ugly rhetoric feeding and blurring together hatred of the Jew, Jewish nationalism and the Jewish state.

And leaders like Mary Robinson - and my McGill colleagues who distribute honourary doctorates - should be extra vigilant to weed out this hatred, rather than standing silently by and watching it grow.

Anti-Semitic acts, be they "minor" or "major," rhetorical or physical, violate the fundamental covenant we all share as citizens of a democracy. Democracy is more than one person, one vote; it begins with values of equality, mutuality and civility, rooted in our common humanity.

"Zero-tolerance" means we all must combat all forms of bigotry, be it in bathroom stalls or on editorial pages, in the halls of the UN or in the context of difficult political strife.

Last week, McGill principal Heather Munroe-Blum sent a letter to the McGill community condemning the incidents of vandalism - and linking them to the torching of United Talmud Torah's library.

Note the contrast between the McGill honouree's moral tone-deafness amid the blood libels of Durban and the McGill principal's honourable refusal to ignore bathroom graffiti - understanding the ''broken windows'' theory of policing, that little incidents of incivility fester.

Perhaps, rather than granting an honourary doctorate, Heather Munroe-Blum should sit Mary Robinson down for some lessons on exhibiting moral courage and fostering a true, consistent, aggressive commitment to human rights for all.

Gil Troy teaches history at McGill University.

Comment on this article using the "Post Reply" button

Facebook

Dear friends, we need your help!

If you find our work meaningful and useful,
please consider making a small donation
and help us stay online and grow.
Thank you for your support!

Posted by JustAnotherChristan

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostTue May 04, 2004 1:08 am     who are the friends of Israel?    

I am a Christian who firmly believes that my Bible predicts the restoration of the nation Israel in the last days before (what we call) the 2nd Coming of Messiah. I believe that the Jew's claim to the land is wholly theological (God gave it to them) and that trumps all other claims for me and for many others. You folks ought to favor us pro-Israel Christians a bit more than you do. We are your most determined apologists, for our religion is married to a pro-Israel policy. I make and break fellowship on whether or not the person favors Israel's right to ALL the land. I reject and denounce any (so-called) Christian who does not affirm the Jew's right to own and keep all the land.

I am also dismayed that the official apologists for Israel seem to come short of saying "the whole thing". It is obvious that from their (the Islamic) side, this is nothing else than a religious war. It is clearly an "evangelistsic war" by the Mohammedans against all other religions. We seem to have no trouble with Christian Arabs or Hindu Arabs...... do we?

Facebook

Posted by Radum

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostTue May 04, 2004 2:05 am     Gil Troy article    

Dear Mr. Troy,
I congratulate you for this article. Not only for its content, but also for dearing to step out of your confortable position and entering the debate ring.
Your wonderful language helped in making the message easily understandable for me, which I do not master the English language, and I hope also for the non-Jewish readers of The Montreal Gazette. I hope that not only the Jews will appreciate it, because promoting fairness in human relations is not our monopol.

Radu Munteanu
radu@iec.co.il

Facebook

Posted by samP

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostTue May 04, 2004 10:20 pm     America is allowing anti-Semites to enter country    

I regret witnessing first hand the anti-Jewish sentiment on college campuses. I also regret that no one is willing to talk about the rapid growth of the U.S. Arab population and what it will eventually do to the future of Jews worldwide.

Today the ratio of Arab to Jew is 1:2. Guess which population is growing faster? Guess which population is rapidly emigrating into the U.S.? What will happen to our Israeli foreign policy once we have more Arabs than Jews in the United States? What sort of security will we have or our children have when they are students?

Facebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MidEastTruth Forum Index -> Gil Troy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

The MidEastTruth.com Forum | Powered by phpBB