Birthright links Jewish past to the future - @MidEastTruth

MidEastTruth Forum Index
  Home | Cartoons | Videos | Presentation | Flyers | Forum | UN vs ISRAEL | Links | Update List  

MidEastTruth Forum Index   Gil Troy is an American academic. He received his undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees from Harvard University and is a professor of History at McGill University.
The author of eleven books, nine of which concern American presidential history, and one of which concerns his own and others' "Jewish identity," he contributes regularly to a variety of publications and appears frequently in the media as a commentator and analyst on subjects relating to history and politics. Twitter: @GilTroy. Website: www.giltroy.com.

Help us stay online!
donate

Jump to:  
RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MidEastTruth Forum Index -> Gil Troy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic  •  View next topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. 

Posted by editor

Subscribe to our mailing list
Subscribe to our mailing list

MidEastTruth.com - the first 13 yearsMidEastTruth.com
How it all started

What is Palestine? Who are the Palestinians?
What is Palestine?
Who are the Palestinians?

See Also:

PostWed Apr 21, 2004 10:56 am     Birthright links Jewish past to the future    

Birthright links Jewish past to the future

By Gil Troy
Canadian Jewish News
April 15, 2004

During my six Birthright Israel trips since February 2000 on which I accompanied nearly 1,000 Montrealers to Israel, I have repeatedly witnessed the Birthright volcano.

Take a random group of 40 Jews, aged 18 to 26. Throw them on a bus for 10 days. Unleash them in Israel, and boom! Participants transform from a bunch of North American slackers into a wonderfully raucous group of Jewish singers and dancers, ayi-yi-yi-ing their way through the Holy Land. The energy unleashed so easily and the frequency of this apparent miracle, indicate a yearning for authentic, inspiring Jewish experiences – and Birthright Israel’s consistent ability to answer that need.

To date, 58,229 young Jews, including 29,668 Americans and 8,154 Canadians, have received what the visionary philanthropists Charles Bronfman and Michael Steinhardt conceived of as a gift from one generation to another. Canada’s happily disproportionate representation has galvanized the community during these trying times.

Again and again, I have seen the Birthright bounce – Birthright alumni embracing Judaism individually, championing Israel on campus and even revitalizing institutions as Jewish communal professionals, having redirected their careers thanks to the program.

In Montreal, a Birthright alumna started the McGill student ghetto shul, and many Birthright returnees are among the 100-plus students – religious and non-religious – who celebrate Shabbat together weekly.

Social science research confirms these anecdotal impressions. Social psychologists at Brandeis University discovered that by every measure, from enhanced Israel identification to greater commitment to marrying Jews, Birthrighters return home inspired, engaged and often ready to change themselves and the community. The percentage of participants who feel connected to the Jewish people jumped from 38 per cent before the trip to 63 per cent one year later, compared to only 45 per cent of non-participants. Similarly, those feeling connected to Israel jumped from 22 per cent to 48 per cent, even one year later.

During the college and post-college years, Jews are most likely to distance themselves from the community, precisely when they are making life-shaping decisions, choosing a spouse, a career, even a cause. Rather than trying to guilt these young seekers into staying within the fold, Birthright offers a positive Jewish experience at this critical moment, speaking to young Jews in their language.

Birthright also recognizes that you cannot excite people for 10 days then abandon them to the same community that failed to inspire them before. The program is now concentrating on follow-up, encouraging the broader community to welcome this important age group and smoothing the transition from Birthright pilgrim to happy, proud, creative, committed Jew.

This fall, I spoke at the General Assembly of the United Jewish Communities meeting in Jerusalem. I was asked for practical suggestions to enhance Jewish campus life.

“I have a brilliant idea,” I responded. “Why don’t we send students aged 18 to 26 who have never been on an organized Israel tour to Israel for free? Why don’t we call it Birthright, and rather than having a three-way partnership between major philanthropists, the federations and the Israeli government, why don’t we fight each other for the honour of funding it exclusively?”

People chuckled, but I was serious. It shocks me that having triumphed brilliantly in its initial five years, Birthright Israel had so much difficulty securing its second round of funding for another five years. I am dismayed that Canadian Jews have not paid their fair share. In truth, the Canadian federations have been exceptionally supportive, but despite so many Canadian participants, no Canadian mega-donor has joined Charles Bronfman and the heavily American cast of financial angels he and Michael Steinhardt assembled.

Moreover, as word of Birthright’s financial plight spread last fall, I could not understand why satisfied returnees, pleased parents and appreciative members of the Jewish community did not bombard Birthright with their own donations.

The not-so-wise men of Chelm once noticed that many people were falling off a rickety bridge. The resident “geniuses” responded by building a hospital in the ravine. For too long, the Jewish community was equally “wise,” responding to the so-called continuity crisis with short-term, emergency Band-Aid solutions. By contrast, Birthright Israel uses the Israel experience to build a vibrant bridge linking Jewish students with our history as a way of developing their future. We should all rush to help finance that bridge, keeping it open, welcoming and strong.

Comment on this article using the "Post Reply" button

Facebook

Dear friends, we need your help!

If you find our work meaningful and useful,
please consider making a small donation
and help us stay online and grow.
Thank you for your support!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MidEastTruth Forum Index -> Gil Troy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

The MidEastTruth.com Forum | Powered by phpBB