The Discovery Channel's, " The Lost Tomb Of Jesus " - @MidEastTruth

MidEastTruth Forum Index
  Home | Cartoons | Videos | Presentation | Flyers | Forum | UN vs ISRAEL | Links | Update List  

MidEastTruth Forum Index  

Gerald Honigman is a Florida educator who has done extensive doctoral work in Middle East studies, has lectured on numerous university and other platforms. He has debated many of the best Arab and pro-Arab academics in public debates and on television. Mr. Honigman is widely published in academic journals, magazines, newspapers and other publications.

Help us stay online!
donate

Jump to:  
RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

Reply to topic View previous topic  •  View next topic Reply to topic 

Posted by david barrett

Subscribe to our mailing list

MidEastTruth.com - the first 13 yearsMidEastTruth.com
How it all started

What is Palestine? Who are the Palestinians?
What is Palestine?
Who are the Palestinians?

See Also:

PostThu Mar 08, 2007 2:43 pm        

A reflection of what I have stated can be seen in the following extract

Quote:
.......is clearly the meaning of the famous talmudic statement by Rabbi Chanania ben Akashia when he said: “The Holy One blessed be He desired to confer merit upon Israel, therefore He gave them Torah and mitzvoth in abundance, as it is said: God desires for the sake of its righteousness that the Torah be expanded and strengthened”. (Isa. 42:21) (Makkoth 23b).

“God is of no importance unless He is of supreme importance”
Abraham Joshua Heschel

RABBI CORDOZO

Facebook

Dear friends, we need your help!

If you find our work meaningful and useful,
please consider making a small donation
and help us stay online and grow.
Thank you for your support!

Posted by Starman3000m

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostThu Mar 08, 2007 10:35 pm        

Quote:
“God is of no importance unless He is of supreme importance”
Abraham Joshua Heschel

Agreed.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than He that sent him."
(Words of Yeshua HaMashiach - John 13:16)

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I." (Words of Yeshua HaMashiach - John 14:2Cool

Smile

Facebook

Posted by diffangle

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostFri Mar 09, 2007 10:55 pm        

Before I begin... Shabbat Shalom Very Happy
Quote:
Diffangle
You are so way out as to be a visitor from another planet as far as thinking Jewish

Considering I'm not Jewish that is a fair assessment. Just because I'm not Jewish doesn't mean I can't read and understand the Torah without the Talmud though.
Quote:
You quote Code:
Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk
Please explain what this implies to me & my fellow Jew in terms of being kosher in relation to what one may or not eat [ together or otherwise]

The Hebrew word for seethe is bashal meaning to boil, cook, or roast which implies that you shouldn't boil/cook/roast a kid in his mother's milk. As far as kosher meat that can and can't be eaten, all that is detailed in Leviticus. Anything beyond this info is adding to His Torah.
Quote:
you are denying the existence of Gods word : the word BIND is given in the imperative. Frontlets is a definitive noun- it has substance.

I am not denying the existence of His word... quite the opposite, I'm saying we should never be without them(that's what I meant by 24/7). Let's look at the Scriptures:

And thou shalt love YHWH thy Elohim with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. Duet. 6:5-8

He's talking about thoughts and actions here. Iow, you should eat, breathe, and sleep with His words in your heart(as stated above). The Hebrew word for bind is qashar which can mean to tie physically but it can also mean mentally in love. Do you think He prefers a box tied to your body over being so in love with His word that it is bound in your heart/mind/actions of love?

If He does prefer boxes tied to your body then why not just tie the boxes to your body any way you can get them on there? Why do you need a book about how to tie something on your body? does YHWH really care about the details on how to get them on the body? To say you need another book to tell you how to tie something on to your body is like saying "the law says the speed limit is 65mph... could you please write a book explaining that driving 65 means not driving 1 mph,2 mph, 3 mph, 20 mph, etc".

Quote:
BTW phylacteries were found at Qumran and it must be assumed that even J donned them on a daily basis as a Jew

Just b/c phylacteries were found at Qumran doesn't mean Yahushua donned them. He was not part of the Qumran sect... He was a Nazarite.

Quote:
Yes we should always act with good intentions and hopefully cognisant of an all seeing [figuratively ]God but this does not excuse a Jew from doing as he has been instructed

Even if the instruction is made-up by infallible men and could be contrary to YHWH's Torah?

Quote:
As for matza -- unleavened bread refers to the 'rising' when baked
All dough rises. The subject is very complicated because once again the instruction is repeated several times and God does not say meaningless words. It refers to the length of tinme one mixes water with the mix and the time permitted to bake. Also ALL leavened items are forbidden.
You should read up more

Leaven- a substance (as yeast) used to produce fermentation in dough or a liquid. - Webster's Dictionary

Leaven is yeast or baking soda. If you leave leavening agents out of your flour and water mixture you will never get fluffy bread no matter how much time you mix or bake that flour and water mixture.

Quote:
Hi
Fair ?

You wrote,
Quote:
Charismatic he may have been but a nice guy - forget it

Quote:
J IS SHOWN TO HAVE MANY FAULTS IN THE NT -- certainly not an epitome of behaviour

Quote:
Correct BUT take note that the OT & Prophets do NOT hide our faults which many other writings do
One makes out that the NT & Islam are perfection

Fair?
Gerald seems to be blaming the holocaust on Christians which doesn't make sense since millions of Christians perished in the death camps also(many of them b/c of their sympathies/help of the Jewish people). Check out www.holocaustforgotten.com/Lucaire.htm
Also, Hitler and his minions weren't Christians, they were deep into the occult/Theosophy.
Fair?

Quote:
All human beings are prone to error yes BUT even the most extreme & superior/ most respected Rabbis of today will never find fault with Rashi or others because they feel they are not on the same level of understanding /' sanctity as they were.

So these fallible men have been raised to Messiah status? How is that any different from the Christians belief in Yahusha HaMashiach? Didn't you equate Christianity with Islam b/c of claims of perfection? Isn't this the very same thing?

Quote:
Is the Pope infallible?

You betcha'.
Quote:
but to muslims yes

To many Christians also yes and I'm guessing to many Jews too... no?

Quote:
True I do not agree with everything that I see written but I am not of that calibre that I can stand up and say " no way"

If it doesn't mesh with YHWH's Torah then why not? YHWH commands in Devarim 4:2 "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the YHWH your Elohim which I command you. "

Quote:
All I know is that by acceptance of such understandings , following the learned Rabbis 'interpretations', over the last 3000 years the Jewish people has survived calamities which wiped out others - and any onlooker will say its a miracle
It is this observance which has maintained us

No offense but your survival wasn't because of your rabbi's... it was b/c of YHWH. When reading the O.T. you can see where the calamity's brought on the people where b/c of their disobedience of following after the traditions of men.

Quote:
God desires for the sake of its righteousness that the Torah be expanded and strengthened”. (Isa. 42:21) (Makkoth 23b).

That verse says, YHWH is well pleased for His righteousness' sake; He will magnify the law, and make [it] honourable.
The Hebrew word for magnify is gadal meaning become great, make powerful, to praise the Law... not add to the Law.

Shalom in Him

Facebook

Posted by diffangle

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostSat Mar 10, 2007 8:13 am        

Oops... correction on the Pope question, I meant you betcha that he absolutely is fallible.

Facebook

Posted by david barrett

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostSat Mar 10, 2007 2:17 pm        

diffangle
Thank you for your reply
BUT & it a big but
this conversation cannot continue if you deny that we Jews have an oral law which came down at the same time as the written law
The oral law defines ,describes and quantifies things which are not clear in the written law -- it is an integral part of Judaism
Also there is explicit permission to rectify or moderate certain laws if needs be -- this not adding or taking away
It is using the OT precept that one MUST LIVE BY THEM ie the commandments & laws
An example is that of NOT making FIRE on the sabbath
This means in an orthodox home we do not turn on / light electric appliances of any kind but one may use a time switch pre-set because this is a 'delayed' function
Another example is that in life threatening emergencies all sabbath laws may be suspended

How you wish to comprehend the OT is your business but DO NOT PREACH it
Judaism denial is not acceptable here

Once again I refer to the following by Chief rabbi Sacks of England

Framing the epic events of this week's sedra are two objects - the two sets of tablets, the first given before, the second after, the sin of the Golden Calf. Of the first, we read:

“The tablets were the work of God; the writing was the writing of G-d, engraved on the tablets.”
These were perhaps the holiest object in history: from beginning to end, the work of G-d. Yet within hours they lay shattered, broken by Moses when he saw the calf and the Israelites dancing around it.

The second tablets, brought down by Moses on the tenth of Tishri, were the result of his prolonged plea to G-d to forgive the people. This is the historic event that lies behind Yom Kippur (tenth of Tishri), the day marked in perpetuity as a time of favour, forgiveness and reconciliation between G-d and the Jewish people. The second tablets were different in one respect. They were not wholly the work of G-d:

Carve out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke.
Hence the paradox: the first tablets, made by G-d, did not remain intact. The second tablets, the joint work of G-d and Moses, did. Surely the opposite should have been true: the greater the holiness, the more eternal. Why was the more holy object broken while the less holy stayed whole? This is not, as it might seem, a question specific to the tablets. It is, in fact, a powerful example of a fundamental principle in Jewish spirituality.

The Jewish mystics distinguished between two types of Divine-human encounter. They called them itaruta de-l'eylah and itaruta deletata, respectively "an awakening from above" and "an awakening from below." The first is initiated by G-d, the second by mankind. An "awakening from above" is spectacular, supernatural, an event that bursts through the chains of causality that at other times bind the natural world. An "awakening from below" has no such grandeur. It is a gesture that is human, all too human.

Yet there is another difference between them, in the opposite direction. An "awakening from above" may change nature, but it does not, in and of itself, change human nature. In it, no human effort has been expended. Those to whom it happens are passive. While it lasts, it is overwhelming; but only while it lasts. Thereafter, people revert to what they were. An "awakening from below", by contrast, leaves a permanent mark.

Because human beings have taken the initiative, something in them changes. Their horizons of possibility have been expanded. They now know they are capable of great things, and because they did so once, they are aware that they can do so again. An awakening from above temporarily transforms the external world; an awakening from below permanently transforms our internal world. The first changes the universe; the second changes us.

Two Examples. The first: Before and after the division of the Red Sea, the Israelites were confronted by enemies: before, by the Egyptians, after by the Amalekites. The difference is total.

Before the Red Sea, the Israelites were commanded to do nothing:

"Stand still and you will see the deliverance G-d will bring you today . . . G-d will fight for you; you need only be still." (14:13-14).
Facing the Amalekites, however, the Israelites themselves had to fight:

"Moses said to Joshua, 'Choose men and go out and fight the Amalekites" (17:9).
The first was an "awakening from above", the second an "awakening from below."

The difference was palpable. Within three days after the division of the Sea, the greatest of all miracles, the Israelites began complaining again (no water, no food). But after the war against the Amalekites, the Israelites never again complained when facing conflict (the sole exception - when the spies returned and the people lost heart - was when they relied on hearsay testimony, not on the immediate prospect of battle itself). The battles fought for us do not change us; the battles we fight, do.

The second example: Mount Sinai and the Tabernacle. The Torah speaks about these two revelations of "G-d's glory" in almost identical terms:

The glory of G-d settled on Mount Sinai. For six days the cloud covered the mountain, and on the seventh day G-d called to Moses from within the cloud. Then the cloud covered the Tent of Meeting, and the glory of G-d filled the tabernacle.
The difference between them was that the sanctity of Mount Sinai was momentary, while that of the tabernacle was permanent (at least, until the Temple was built, centuries later). The revelation at Sinai was an "awakening from above". It was initiated by G-d. So overwhelming was it that the people said to Moses, "Let G-d not speak to us any more, for if He does, we will die" (20:16). By contrast, the tabernacle involved human labour. The Israelites made it; they prepared the structured space the Divine presence would eventually fill. Forty days after the revelation at Sinai, the Israelites made a Golden Calf. But after constructing the sanctuary they made no more idols - at least until they entered the land. That is the difference between the things that are done for us and the things we have a share in doing ourselves. The former change us for a moment, the latter for a lifetime.

There was one other difference between the first tablets and the second. According to tradition, when Moses was given the first tablets, he was given only Torah shebikhtav, the "written Torah". At the time of the second tablets, he was given Torah she-be'al peh, the Oral Torah as well: “R. Jochanan said: G-d made a covenant with Israel only for the sake of the Oral Law, as it says : "For by the mouth of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel"” (Ex. 34:27).

The difference between the Written and Oral Torah is profound.

The first is the word of G-d, with no human contribution.
The second is a partnership - the word of G-d as interpreted by the mind of man.
The following are two of several remarkable passages to this effect:

R. Judah said in the name of Shmuel: Three thousand traditional laws were forgotten during the period of mourning for Moses. They said to Joshua: "Ask" (through ruach hakodesh, the holy spirit). Joshua replied, "It is not in heaven." They said to Samuel, "Ask." He replied, "These are the commandments - implying that no prophet has the right to introduce anything new." (B.T. Temurah 16a) “If a thousand prophets of the stature of Elijah and Elisha were to give one interpretation of a verse, and one thousand and one sages were to offer a different interpretation, we follow the majority: the law is in accordance with the thousand-and-one sages and not in accordance with the thousand prophets.” (Maimonides, Commentary to the Mishneh, Introduction)
Any attempt to reduce the Oral Torah to the Written - by relying on prophecy or Divine communication - mistakes its essential nature as the collaborative partnership between G-d and man, where revelation meets interpretation. Thus, the difference between the two precisely mirrors that between the first and second tablets. The first were Divine, the second the result of Divine-human collaboration. This helps us understand a glorious ambiguity. The Torah says that at Sinai the Israelites heard a "great voice velo yasaf" (Deut. 5:1Cool. Two contradictory interpretations are given of this phrase. One reads it as "a great voice that was never heard again", the other as "a great voice that did not cease" - i.e. a voice that was always heard again. Both are true. The first refers to the Written Torah, given once and never to be repeated. The second applies to the Oral Torah, whose study has never ceased.

Please read this carefully and try and understand OUR approach

Facebook

Posted by david barrett

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostMon Mar 12, 2007 8:33 am        

Quote:
The Hebrew word for magnify is gadal meaning become great, make powerful, to praise the Law... not add to the Law.

Whilst your understanding of GaDaL is essentially correct there is an inference that this word implies addition w/out change of basic meaning

It is used when one talks about GROWING A BEARD
GROWING VEGETABLES
ARROGANCE & BOASTING
You can see here that there is an element of addition
So in the prior example on which you commented EXPANSION- MAKING THE TEACHING GREAT ETC one is permmitted to expound and add if it does not alter the basic premise. We call it a fence around the Torah.
The references in the Torah re adding and removing refer actually to the WRITTEN LETTERS OF THE TORAH
NOT to interpretation
We believe this has a lot to do with the Codes in the Toarh which have only come to light publicly in the last 50 years
Change the letters and there are NO codes -- a separate subject in its own right

Facebook

Posted by diffangle

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostMon Mar 12, 2007 8:25 pm        

Hello David,

Quote:
this conversation cannot continue if you deny that we Jews have an oral law which came down at the same time as the written law

I'm not denying that the Jews have an oral law, I know you have an oral law. I know you also believe that it came down at the same time as the written... I just don't agree. I also think it's okay that we don't agree on everything. I appreciate reading your views even though I may not agree 100%. I'm sorry if it upsets you to hear different views to yours.

You never did explain why Joshua 8:34&35 says that Joshua READ(means it was written down already) ALL the words of the LAW and EVERY word that Moses commanded and says that there wasn't a single word that was not WRITTEN down. How does that not bring the oral law into question?

Quote:
The oral law defines ,describes and quantifies things which are not clear in the written law

In your opinion. Imo, I don't see what's not clear in YHWH's pure word but I realize we don't see eye-to-eye on that one.

Quote:
it is an integral part of Judaism

I understand that a lot of Jewish people accept the Talmud as divine but not all of Judaism accepts that... the Karaites stick to Torah only.

Quote:
How you wish to comprehend the OT is your business but DO NOT PREACH it

Webster's dictionary describes Preaching as meaning to advocate earnestly... if I'm preaching then you're doing the same. Are your beliefs the only one's welcome here? Personally, I'm interested in knowing your beliefs, it doesn't upset me that they aren't exactly the same as my beliefs. I just thought we were having a discussion here.

Quote:
Judaism denial is not acceptable here

In case you haven't picked up on it already... I do not deny Judaism . Not agreeing with something doesn't mean you deny its existence. Just for the record, I don't disagree with all of it either. I completely agree with the aspects that line up with Torah.

Quote:
G-d made a covenant with Israel only for the sake of the Oral Law, as it says : "For by the mouth of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel"” (Ex. 34:27).

And the YHWH said unto Moshe, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.

You left out that YHWH commanded him to Write them down.

Quote:
The difference between the Written and Oral Torah is profound.

We agree... they are different.

Quote:
Please read this carefully and try and understand OUR approach

That would be a fair request if you tried to understand other people's approach instead of trying to shut people down with the "DON'T PREACH"
threat.

David, if you choose to shut down this conversation then that is your perogative. I think it will seem a little intolerant but that's just my opinion. Something I've been trying to point out this whole time is that you and Gerald might try to take your own advice. Between the two of you... you've written:

Quote:
"it would be nice if they treated others the same way"
"While many Christians protest abuses and intolerance within Islam, they really do need to reflect upon their own history and current beliefs and actions as well"
"But also learn to walk in your brothers’ shoes"
"J IS SHOWN TO HAVE MANY FAULTS IN THE NT -- certainly not an epitome of behaviour"
"Just for starters -- his behaviour with the moneylenders
Second his rudenes to his mother/parents
His defiance of tradition/ acting against the authorities of that time
You want the whole caboodle Ill post it again
Charismatic he may have been but a nice guy - forget it"
"Just read how J behaved . There are other ways of handling a situation without gettig angry and being physically violent and rude"
"Please read this carefully and try and understand OUR approach"

You two have handed out advice to Christian's to understand your views and have insulted Christians and Yahushua HaMashiach at the same time. If you want to insult Yahushua or believer's in Him, that is fine but don't be surprised when us believer's voice our opposition. I don't say that in a disrespectful way, I just feel the need to set the record straight when I see/hear wrong accusations thrown around in public about people.

Shalom

Facebook

Posted by david barrett

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostTue Mar 13, 2007 8:26 am        

d/a
shalom
Thank you for your reasoned approach but I can only respond based on the general orthodox line which has kept us relatively intact over the last millennia.
Israel was returned to us & yes it could be managed better than it is but I think that xians esp Cath church must accept that God has brought us back in fulfilment of his promise to our forefathers
And if he is keeping that side of the bargain then we await as in the past the arrival of the Jewish Messiah
Now as to insulting Jeshu THE MESSIAH -- thats a no go
Jeshu was born and died a Jew-- fact
How good or indifferent a Jew I certainly do not know.What is related about him indicates a problematic guy but I am sure he had his good points like anyone else
Was never accepted by the mainline Jewry of that time as a messiah for many reasons which we do not have to go into now [ you may be aware of them]
He was created a messiah after he died in written works which do have a lot of holes in them so much so there are several hundred different versions of the NT - and of course since he died he has not saved anyone .
Note that in the first three centuries of the Christian Church, Early Christianity, there seems to have been no New Testament canon that was universally recognized.

After all diffangle remember that you can pray,beseech DIRECT to God Himself without any need for an intermediary!!

Quote:
I completely agree with the aspects that line up with Torah.

Why practise xianity when by your own argument you should choose samaritanism? Confused [ I think you might have meant samaritan & not karaite?] Let alone look what happened to Shabtai Tzvi and messiah now?
The time is yet to come.

Quote:
You never did explain why Joshua 8:34&35 says that Joshua READ(means it was written down already) ALL the words of the LAW and EVERY word that Moses commanded and says that there wasn't a single word that was not WRITTEN down. How does that not bring the oral law into question?

This I shall answer as taught -- we are at Mt Eval
The clue is the phrase "" the blessing(s) & the curse(s)">>
All the words of the Torah relating to the blessings & the curses of Deut 28/1 ONLY

You see you loosely assumed that Torah means LAW.Its a very loose translation.

examples: ben Torah = learned,erudite,scholarly
din Torah = litigation
Torah =- study
Torah = important subject, theory, custom, definition

It does not - it may refer to it. It really means INSTRUCTION , TO SHOW THE WAY. Its source is the Hebrew word to teach.

The clue to explaining the 2nd part of your question is the word
" comandment". Joshua recited all the commandments +/ - that Moses had written in the Torah.

Quote:
and says that there wasn't a single word that was not WRITTEN down.

Nowhere does it say this Where did you get this from????

Regards

Facebook

Posted by Starman3000m

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostTue Mar 13, 2007 10:41 am        

Quote:
And if he is keeping that side of the bargain then we await as in the past the arrival of the Jewish Messiah

David, in previous discussions you have mentioned the Jewish belief in two (2) Messiahs that should appear; Moshiach ben Yosef and Moshiach ben David.

According to the dialogue, Moshiach ben Yosef appears first and is killed. at which time Israel is thrown into great struggle against her enemies and time of trouble. It is after a period of persecution that Moshiach ben David appears to set things right.

Do you believe in the two Messiahs? If so, the Messiah that Israel presently awaits, ben Yosef, will appear a short while before Israel reverts back to greater problems and persecutions.

In other words, the Messiah that Israel awaits will not yet bring about True and Lasting Peace.

First-Century Jews accepted Yeshua (J) as Moshiach ben Yosef who will return again at the appointed time to establish a Millennial Rule from Jerusalem - after anti-Christ (False Messiah) has been defeated.

Smile

Facebook

Posted by david barrett

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostTue Mar 13, 2007 3:41 pm        

You surmise correctly
But we are taught / learn acc rabbis that the gap of time between the 2 of them will NOT be of a long duration -- a year or so, could be less ; and yes Israel will be under great duress, will be invaded from the north by our neighbours and undue pressure applied by nations abroad, and many Israelis will be killed[ they talk of at least 1/3 population]
As you know even today world events create a change on the ground world-wide rapidly : the M/David will then save Israel and cause an about turn in every way and Israel will then reign supreme
When we say we are waiting for Messiah we are indeed referring to the Messiah ben David

Facebook

Posted by Starman3000m

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostTue Mar 13, 2007 5:54 pm        

Quote:
When we say we are waiting for Messiah we are indeed referring to the Messiah ben David

Agreed. But, as noted, Moschiach ben Yosef has to first appear according to Orthodox Judaism. Thus, the future times of troubles should be expected to greatly increase - get worse before they can get better. in this world system

Thus, when Moshiach ben Yosef* appears, know that the times of troubles will commence to a greater degree.

* First-Century Jews maintained that Yeshua (J) was in fact the Moshiach (ben Yosef) who had to die as an atonement for the sins not just of Israel but for all of mankind. That was His purpose.

In other words, the belief and faith is that God did for mankind what Abraham was going to do for God.

As you may know, NT Prophecy teaches that the next one on the scene to claim to be "Moshiach" will be anti-Christ who deceives Israel and the world into forming a "peace-pact that is supposed to bring about world peace. After a period of 3 1/2 years, Anti-Christ turns against Israel - persecuting and killing Jews and Christians for a period of 3 1/2 years.
After that period of global persecuitions, Moshiach ben David (Yeshua HaMashiach) returns to establish God's Millennial Rule on earth from Jerusalem.

It is taught that God is Alpha and Omega - The First and The Last.

Smile

Facebook

Posted by david barrett

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostWed Mar 14, 2007 8:02 am        

No argument
Essence is as you say
Yes I do think things are going to get worse here
A lot will depend on Egypt
Syria is intent on creating problems even tho USA is playing up to her
Iran definitely
Iraq poss
Jordan - neutral
Saudi -finance
Add Pallys & Hamas & Hez and rocket warfare

Facebook

Posted by diffangle

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostWed Mar 14, 2007 11:27 am        

Quote:
I can only respond based on the general orthodox line which has kept us relatively intact over the last millennia.

What's the orthodox reason for the amount of persecution the Jewish people have had to endure over the last millennia?

Quote:
How good or indifferent a Jew I certainly do not know.What is related about him indicates a problematic guy but I am sure he had his good points like anyone else

- He didn't condone violence, unlike the Koran and Talmud.
- He came to set the people back on track of Torah... to lighten the yoke the rabbi's put on the people with all the added laws and traditions that they themselves couldn't even carry.
- He preached against racism, unlike the Koran and Talmud. There is no such thing as Jew or gentile with Him.
- He was/is into healing the sick.
- He died for our sins.

Quote:
Was never accepted by the mainline Jewry of that time as a messiah for many reasons which we do not have to go into now

Right but many Jews did/do accept Him as the Messiah. The rejection of mainline Jewry is written about in Deut. 29:4 and Isa. 29:10, so your statement is accurate.

Quote:
He was created a messiah after he died in written works which do have a lot of holes in them

Where are you getting this information of Him not being Messiah until after He died? What holes?

Quote:
and of course since he died he has not saved anyone

There are many people world-wide who will disagree with you on that one.

Quote:
Note that in the first three centuries of the Christian Church, Early Christianity, there seems to have been no New Testament canon that was universally recognized

No universal canon aside, the writings were available to the believer's in scroll form. Also, despite what Jews and Christian's might think, Yahushua and His disciples taught Torah, afterall... He's the living Torah.

Quote:
After all diffangle remember that you can pray,beseech DIRECT to God Himself without any need for an intermediary!!

Then why are the Jews waiting for a Messiah? Yahushua was YHWH in the flesh so I don't neccessarily view Him as an intermediary.

Quote:
Why practise xianity when by your own argument you should choose samaritanism? [ I think you might have meant samaritan & not karaite?]

Because I believe that Yahushua is HaMashiach and that He died for our sins... I don't think the Samaritan's do and the Karaite's don't either. Also, I meant Karaite:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaites

Quote:
Let alone look what happened to Shabtai Tzvi and messiah now?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. ?

Quote:
All the words of the Torah relating to the blessings & the curses of Deut 28/1 ONLY

And afterward he read all the words of the Torah, the blessings and cursings, according to all that is written in the Torah. Joshua 8:34

This doesn't say only the blessings & the curses nor does it only reference Duet. 28:1. It says according to all the words of the Torah.

Quote:
It really means INSTRUCTION , TO SHOW THE WAY. Its source is the Hebrew word to teach

Yes, I agree that it means law, direction, instruction.

Quote:
Nowhere does it say this Where did you get this from????

And afterward he read all the words of the Torah, the blessings and cursings, according to all that is written in the Torah. There was not a word of all that Moses commanded, which Joshua read not before all the congregation of Israel, with the women, and the little ones, and the strangers that were conversant among them. Joshua 8:34&35

Observe the words that are in bold and underlined indicating that all the Torah was read.

Shalom

Facebook

Posted by david barrett

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostThu Mar 15, 2007 6:37 am        

Quote:
And afterward he read all the words of the Torah, the blessings and cursings, according to all that is written in the Torah.

You totally misinterpret Jewish understanding at the basic level of this sentence because you quote it out of context Must add v33

The Jews were stationed on Eval and Gerizim
The Blessings and Curses were read to them [ as described below]
EXACTLY as written by Moses

The Israelites responded Amen to these

I am going to rewrite it in the manner as all observant Jews understand it & explained above

And afterward he read all the words of the Torah, RELATING TO the blessings and cursings, according to all that is written in the Torah ABOUT THEM.

Unless you really accept a basis for an Oral Law[ Tradition] concomitant then all you are doing is putting your own explanation to a LITERAL text
and as we know this has given rise to many problems by others in the past

Look carefully at v32
"............which he [Moses] WROTE before the Children of Israel"
This phrase is superfluous based on the first part of v32. Thus
the word WROTE implies .......the Torah of Moses , which he SPOKE before the Children of Israel

Facebook

Posted by david barrett

How it all started

What is Palestine?

See Also:

PostThu Mar 15, 2007 6:46 am        

Quote:
He didn't condone violence, unlike the Koran and Talmud

Maybe BUT he used violence when it suited himNo question that if tried to do what he is reported as having done he would be arrested today

Also the nature of violence in Torah differs to that of Koran

The Koran promotes violence to convert
Violence in Torah was retribution in the main but NOWHERE was anyone forced to convert
As to xianity they used their writings as a means of sanctifying violence,not only against Jews, throughout the subsequent periods of time and at no time do we read of any so called xian leader stand up and
say " this is NOT the xian way!"

Facebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MidEastTruth Forum Index -> Gerald Honigman All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

The MidEastTruth.com Forum | Powered by phpBB