Andrea Bronfman z”l: A Tribute by Gil Troy - @MidEastTruth

MidEastTruth Forum Index
  Home | Cartoons | Videos | Presentation | Flyers | Forum | UN vs ISRAEL | Links | Update List  

MidEastTruth Forum Index   Gil Troy is an American academic. He received his undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees from Harvard University and is a professor of History at McGill University.
The author of eleven books, nine of which concern American presidential history, and one of which concerns his own and others' "Jewish identity," he contributes regularly to a variety of publications and appears frequently in the media as a commentator and analyst on subjects relating to history and politics. Twitter: @GilTroy. Website: www.giltroy.com.

Help us stay online!
donate

Jump to:  
RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

Reply to topic View previous topic  •  View next topic Reply to topic 

Posted by editor

Subscribe to our mailing list

MidEastTruth.com - the first 13 yearsMidEastTruth.com
How it all started

What is Palestine? Who are the Palestinians?
What is Palestine?
Who are the Palestinians?

See Also:

PostTue Jan 24, 2006 5:51 am     Andrea Bronfman z”l: A Tribute by Gil Troy    

Andrea Bronfman dies

JTA.org

Jewish philanthropist Andrea Bronfman died Monday in New York City after she was hit by a car.

Bronfman was the wife of Charles Bronfman and the co-chair of the Andrea and Charles Bronfman Philanthropies.
The Bronfmans have been major supporters of numerous programs and initiatives aimed at strengthening Jewish life, including birthright israel. The Bronfmans have five children.

http://jta.org/page_view_break.....intid=1024

Andrea Bronfman z”l: A Tribute by Gil Troy

I confess. The first time I ever met Andrea Bronfman, I was terrified.  I had been invited to meet Andy and Charles Bronfman at their downtown Montreal offices. In addition to not knowing what to wear -- academic slob that I am -- I feared I was in trouble, actually in double trouble. For starters, I had written an article questioning the premises of birthright israel, just as the Bronfmans were launching these free 10-day Israel trips for young Jews aged 18 to 26. I soon recanted – after I accompanied the first trip from Montreal and saw the students’ excitement and the program’s substance and integrity. In fact, I had written an open-letter to subsequent participants, giving an overview of Judaism and Zionism.  But I had spelled the program, as normal people might, Birthright Israel, capital B, capital I.  Just before meeting the Bronfmans, a friend informed me that the program was officially spelled in lowercase and that Mrs. Bronfman was a zealot on the issue.

Heart-pounding, palm sweating, and my ill-fitting suit only intensifying my discomfort, I arrived at Claridge’s magnificent offices in a corporate tower on Peel Street, a few buildings down from the landmark Seagram’s castle. To my surprise, and delight, my three-way meeting with the Bronfmans was actually a foursome – their dog scampered in and out of the office, and the meeting was constantly interrupted with smooches and warm embraces – for the dog. “This is Gil Troy, that professor who wrote that article attacking birthright, but is now birthright’s biggest fan,” Charles told Andy, in that subdued way of his with a glint of a smile that made you wonder just what he was thinking, yet conspiratorially welcomed you in a reassuring way at the same time. “Oh, I know who he is,” Andy said with a just-folks matter that disproved whatever stereotypes one had about chic women sporting British accents. Then, turning to me and turning on the charm, she beamed, and said: “you’re great.”

Half an hour later, I was the newest member of the ever-growing Charles and Andy fan club. To be swept up in their orbit – and to be in their orbit, was to be swept up in it – was simply a thrill. Andy Bronfman gave everyone around her enthusiasm infusions. She was so youthful, so vital, so excited by people and ideas, and so deeply committed to Israel, Zionism, the Jewish people and humanity, that you left every interaction, saying to yourself, “what else can I do, how come I’m not doing enough like her – and him.”  Moreover, she was so smart, so incisive, such a good story-teller and an effective questioner,  that you left every encounter with self-imposed homework assignments, to learn more, to think more clearly, to grab hold of ideas with the same zeal with which she did.

The Bronfmans not only taught people the importance of giving generously, their tsedakah strategy has transformed the conversation in the Jewish world. Through birthright israel and a host of other identity-building initiatives, they have triggered a revolution in informal Jewish education and the Israel experience. They demonstrated that ideas are more important than institutions, that positive experiences are more lasting than construction projects, that youth work is more glamorous than social climbing.  The Bronfmans truly had the Midas touch. Foundations, initiatives, ideas they handled absolutely shined, both producing impressive results and triggering a host of imitators eager to follow their people-oriented values and peoplehood-building strategies.

As someone who had written a book about presidential power couples, I tried, by watching up close, to figure out how Andy and Charles divided the workload. But their teamwork was so seamless, their mutual enthusiasms so shared, that pride of authorship disappeared. While each had their own particular enthusiasms, on most of their projects, the two became one. Moreover, whereas often in public power couples, one is the internal affairs minister, the other handles external affairs, or, even worse, sometimes when one is up the other is down, the Bronfmans did not play such games.  The dynamic duo of the Jewish world, they seemed totally in sync – while also able to maintain their own distinct identities.  It was not at all surprising that it was the Andrea AND Charles Bronfman Philanthropies, or that both received honorary citizenship from Jerusalem, the first non-citizens to be so honored.

It is simply tragic and unfair to contemplate this untimely loss. It is unfathomable to try to imagine the devastating impact this will have on Charles, their family, and their circle of adoring friends, let alone we, their many fans and beneficiaries. But every day that Andrea Bronfman lived on this planet she made it a better place. She left an extraordinary legacy that will only burn brighter daily.  

All too often, when someone beloved dies, we ask, “what can we do,” “how can we help?” In this case, it is crystal clear. Andrea Bronfman, zichrona levracha, blazed a trail of wisdom, righteousness, creativity, generosity, and goodness. Now, it is incumbent on each and every one of us to follow her, keeping her love and legacy alive.

Please comment using the "Post Reply" button

Facebook

Dear friends, we need your help!

If you find our work meaningful and useful,
please consider making a small donation
and help us stay online and grow.
Thank you for your support!

Posted by Dr. kleber

MidEastTruth.com - the first 13 yearsMidEastTruth.com
How it all started

What is Palestine? Who are the Palestinians?
What is Palestine?
Who are the Palestinians?

See Also:

PostWed Jan 25, 2006 6:12 am        

May she RIP.

Facebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MidEastTruth Forum Index -> Gil Troy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

The MidEastTruth.com Forum | Powered by phpBB