Why I Am Still A Zionist - @MidEastTruth

MidEastTruth Forum Index
  Home | Cartoons | Videos | Presentation | Flyers | Forum | UN vs ISRAEL | Links | Update List  

MidEastTruth Forum Index   Gil Troy is an American academic. He received his undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees from Harvard University and is a professor of History at McGill University.
The author of eleven books, nine of which concern American presidential history, and one of which concerns his own and others' "Jewish identity," he contributes regularly to a variety of publications and appears frequently in the media as a commentator and analyst on subjects relating to history and politics. Twitter: @GilTroy. Website: www.giltroy.com.

Help us stay online!
donate

Jump to:  
RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

Reply to topic View previous topic  •  View next topic Reply to topic 

Posted by editor

Subscribe to our mailing list
Subscribe to our mailing list

MidEastTruth.com - the first 13 yearsMidEastTruth.com
How it all started

What is Palestine? Who are the Palestinians?
What is Palestine?
Who are the Palestinians?

See Also:

PostFri May 26, 2006 5:47 am     Why I Am Still A Zionist    

Why I Am Still A Zionist

By Gil Troy
The Jewish Week
May 25, 2006

I published my book, “Why I Am A Zionist: Israel, Jewish Identity and the Challenges of Today,” in the fall of 2001. It was a time when Israelis recoiled in confusion from the unexpected Palestinian terror onslaught. Too many Diaspora Jews flailed about ashamedly, unable to explain Israel’s defensive actions, and the world embraced Palestinian propaganda, affirming the Palestinians’ bloody strategy. Even then, in such bleak times, I advocated celebrating Zionism and Israel, not just defending the Jewish state. The book championed “Identity Zionism,” transcending “Crisis” or “Gevalt Zionism,” viewing Israel and Zionism as answers to modern identity dilemmas, not simply the Jewish people’s central headaches.

I first updated the book in May 2002, after conditions worsened. Finally, in April 2002, a year and a half after Yasir Arafat started his war, 14 months into Ariel Sharon’s tenure, and after terrorists murdered 130 in March 2002 alone, Israel had realized the only way to combat terror was to be proactive. Israel’s re-occupation of the West Bank helped crush the terrorists yet triggered a worldwide tsunami of libels.

In rereading the book, I noted that even then, I — like most others — assumed the violence was temporary, expecting the relatively stable status quo of the 1990s to return quickly. I still assumed Palestinians would accept a two-state solution. I also refused to debate Israel’s right to exist, insisting that unless people equally debated other nations’ legitimacy, the challenge should be ignored. I also now recall my bravado. My hopes Israel would survive masked a fear that maybe Israel — and other democracies — could not control terrorism.

The third, updated edition of my book arrives at an interesting moment, transitioning from the Arafat-Sharon era to the Olmert-Hamas era. I am more sober yet more hopeful.

I am sobered by the depth of the threat, the way Palestinians’ terror strategy resonates with broader Islamicist violence. The cult of violence perverting Palestinian political culture disgusts me, and I accept Ariel Sharon’s divorce decree, with an electrified fence reinforcing an aggressive anti-terror strategy. I doubt quick fixes, the two-state solution and the vision of an immediate, comprehensive peace so central to Israel’s political culture. I felt compelled to add a chapter justifying Israel’s right to exist — along with many more strategic and debating tips — because the big lie doubting Israel’s legitimacy has metastasized. Now, I view India-Pakistan as a realistic model for the region. Stability, even with enmity, must precede peace.

And yet, this updated edition salutes Israel’s behavior these past five years, celebrates present-day Israel and expresses confidence in Israel’s future. Sober new chapters defending Israel’s right to exist and analyzing the new anti-Semitism on campus and off are balanced by a new section “Zionism in Action.” I discuss the new Jewish heroes who proved themselves these last few years, Zionism’s compatibility with liberalism, the late songwriter Naomi Shemer’s lyrical nationalism, the pro-Israel passion among students and others and Israelis’ response to terror: “Lo Nafseek Lirkod,” we won’t stop dancing.

Zionism is thriving, despite the challenges. Besieged, Israelis have found unity, pride and a common vision, along with an inner strength they started to forget they possessed during the 1990s’ mass materialism and post-Zionist nihilism. And throughout North America, new Israel activists and Israel lovers are singing a modern, hipper song of Zion, shaped by visionary programs such as birthright israel, which this summer will bring its 100,000th participant to Israel.

Zionism can speak to a new generation of Jews, not because they feel attacked but because they want to be inspired. Israel’s stirring daily symphony inviting us to time-travel, crisscross cultures, balance different values and engage many different senses — just by watching the TV news or strolling down a Jerusalem street — is more energizing than ever. No matter who attacks us, we must remember how Zionism’s achievements and dreams unite us, comfort us, stretch us and elevate us as Jews and as citizens of the world, as individuals and as one of the world’s oldest and most fascinating collectives. That is the spirit I feel — and seek to convey — even more intensely now than five years ago.

Gil Troy is professor of history at McGill University and the author of “Why I Am A Zionist: Israel Jewish Identity and the Challenges of Today.”

Comment on this article using the "Post Reply" button

Facebook

Dear friends, we need your help!

If you find our work meaningful and useful,
please consider making a small donation
and help us stay online and grow.
Thank you for your support!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MidEastTruth Forum Index -> Gil Troy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

RSSTwitterFacebookYoutube

The MidEastTruth.com Forum | Powered by phpBB